Saturday, March 11, 2017

Princeton departure now set for 13 March

Princeton is forecast to be hit by a snow storm on 14-15 March, making travel quite difficult.  With great help from Lisa Allen at GFDL, I have thus moved my departure to 13 March, which removes a great stress on being able to get to the ship on time. I will spend a night at a hotel in Santiago de Chile on 14 March, then leave for Punta Arenas mid-day on 15 March.  Other scientist will also stay the night in Santiago.  

It has been a whirlwind of little and big tasks to complete prior to departure.  Doubtless there will be tasks that must await my return. But thankfully, most of my projects are in a reasonably stable "holding pattern".  

One management nugget I learned 15 years ago in management training is to "nurture your obsolescence as a manager".  I take that lesson to mean I should nurture those in my circle who can do well in my absence.  That is, if things fall apart when I am not around, then I am not a good manager, mentor, or collaborator.  I am certainly testing my success in realizing this aspiration by taking this trip! 

1 comment:

  1. All the best for the cruise. Wish you and all your team member a happy and safe journey.

    ReplyDelete