Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Departure from Princeton

Here are two photos with my family "good-bye" on 13 March from the Princeton Junction train station. It was a cold day, a few hours before a snow storm hit. I will dearly miss Adi & Francisco!  


I have a suitcase full of clothes (lots of layers), vitamins, and power snacks. The snacks and vitamins add heft to the load, as did the Tom's of Maine toothpaste! The backpack has electronics, including a GoPro and camera on loan from Climate Central. The hand-bag has a laptop and iPad along with a few papers to read and some note pads (including a new journal gifted to me from Carolina, a Princeton post-doc).  The fanny pack has my cell phone, glasses, and other handy items.  Somewhere in this gear I have a pocket knife, flashlight, scissors, small pillow,  etc. It has been a long time since I traveled with so much gear! Alas, no Whole Earth Center or REI, or any other store for two months made me err on the side of heft!

The flight to Santiago de Chile was uneventful.  I made it through customs with my bag full of snacks, still packaged so the agents were not concerned even with the peanuts.  They did open the bag of ginger candies and scrutinize it closely.  I wonder if they see this sort of stuff a lot from scientists en route to the south.

During the flight to Santiago I took some Andrographis that Adi prepared to help my immune system. I have a good number of Adi's concoctions loaded into my suitcase to help keep away colds and motion sickness (lots of ginger in many forms!) while on the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment