Monday, January 23, 2017

Medical permission granted

Just today, 23 Jan 2017, I was informed that the British Antarctic Survey (BAS) doctors have approved my medical forms. That is, the BAS doctors say that I can go on the cruise.  This news is a big relief.  As some of you know, in June-July 2015 I experienced a few weeks with atrial fibrillations (A-fib). I had a cardiac ablation procedure to stop the A-fibs on 09 July 2015.  Thankfully, the ablation was successful, with no A-fibs since.  Furthermore, all other other heart features are healthy.

Nonetheless, I was concerned that by having a history of heart issues, the cruise doctors would deny me access to the cruise. The BAS doctors certainly have need to ensure that cruise participants are fit. Ships at sea, especially in the Southern Ocean, are not readily accessible for emergency situations. So it was with some satisfaction that my Princeton doctors, as well as the BAS doctors, gave me a good bill of health.

2 comments:

  1. Great news Steve! Very happy to hear that you're all clear for the cruise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nic. And thanks for posting the first comment to the blog!

      Delete