Wednesday, January 25, 2017

How to prepare for the cruise?

I find myself wondering how to prepare for an eight-week research cruise in the Southern Ocean. One focus I have concerns the need to prepare others for my absence.  Being away from home will be tough, particularly given the sporadic communication available on the ship.  This trip is very different than a few days in Asia, Europe, or Australia.  In fact, I have yet to tell some of my family about this cruise, largely since it was not until 23Jan that I was given medical permission to go.  Once the technical details are settled for how others can access this blog (I am still a bit unsure about subscribing, etc.) I will be spreading the word. 

For work, I am trying to settle some of my many tasks and to reach a hand-off point with certain ongoing projects. Alas, such aspirations remain a never-ending quest for the impossible.  There is always a new idea to develop, or a new analysis to pursue. Such is the nature of research. The bottom line is that elements of my regular work life will simply need to be placed on lower priority while I am away.   And I am sure others will fare well in my absence. 

Physically, I am trying to stay healthy and fit.  Life on the ship may offer some form of exercise situation, as I understand they have a small gym, and many folks often organize into a regular exercise period (yoga perhaps?).  But my presumption is there will be far fewer options than a normal day in Princeton. Mentally I am trying to read material relevant to the research to be conducted.  I am also trying to relax into the notion of being less than comfortable for eight weeks away from home. Spiritually, the notion of being on the sea away from land for an extended period is both exhilarating and confronting. Hopefully I will be able to bring some meditation practice on board the ship, as well as some yoga. Doing so will help me to relax into the absence of control.  Tossed around on a ship in the Southern Ocean for eight weeks is perhaps the nearest one can get to being totally under the will of natural forces; that is, short of walking across Antarctica!       

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing opportunity for daily deep reflection! I have no doubt this experience will enable some profound insights.

    ReplyDelete